As I explained in my post about marathon day (no, not that kind of marathon), I had Flora’s Battle of the Books team make a list of 10 things about an important person in their lives. In Because of Winn-Dixie these list are poignant reminders of absent people. Opal asks her father to tell her 10 things about her mother. When Winn-Dixie runs away, Opal makes a list in her head of 10 things she wants to remember about him.
In the book, these lists are poignant, but I think they could serve another purpose, which is why I had the girls make lists. I thought it would be a good way to tell one person about another person in one’s life whom they hadn’t met.
After thinking about it, I decided to list 10 things about my friend Cari (also known around these parts as @mattieflap).
Here they are, in no particular order.
1. Cari has long red hair that she knows how to French braid her own self.
2. She has been married to Scot for 13 years, and they have two boys. They also have two dogs.
3. Cari is a wonderful baker. She makes pies, cakes, and cookies. The first time she visited me (after M was born), she brought me like six dozen cookies. And they were all delicious. Her shortbread cookies are amazing.
4. She prefers red wine and Belgian beers.
5. She is originally from Michigan, and her parents still live there.
6. She may love YA dystopian fiction more than I do. Although we both hated Allegient. Here is her excellent rant/review.
7. She has pretty much clothed Michael for the past two years with hand-me-downs from her now 6-year-old.
8. She is of Scottish descent.* Correction: She is of IRISH descent. She’s married to a Scotsman. Oops!
9. She was engaged once before.
10. Cari is a good person, and a good friend. She does stuff for people, and never makes a big deal about it. Before my sister’s wedding, I wanted to get a wrap to wear with my dress in case the beach was cold. I had seen the perfect thing at JCPenney, but I hadn’t picked it up.
Cari offered to get it for me. I had a gift card, so I knew it wouldn’t put her out financially. After checking with her several times (rule of three: I will ask three times. “Are you sure it’s not trouble?” “You don’t mind doing this for me?” “Are you SURE?”), I “let” her pick up the wrap for me.
When I asked Twitter and FB about headshots for LTYM, she offered to come over and take them for me.
She’s just great.
Bonus fact: She gives me good chocolate.
If you had to describe someone in a list like this, who would you pick?