1. My Dad’s answer to my last post about this was, “You have to be as tolerant toward people as you want them to be toward you.” A good Golden Rule take on the situation.
2. Just because you do not discriminate does not mean that discrimination does not exist. This is the flip side to the notion of privilege.
3. I could be wrong about this. I’m not really sure. BUT: Gay and trans people aren’t looking for “special” treatment under the law. Just like, oh let’s say, women, they are simply asking for equal treatment, equal to those rights that white, straight men pretty much enjoy without thinking about it. They don’t want you thinking about how they have sex or what their junk is like any more than you want people thinking that about you.
4. Equal treatment doesn’t meant that women, gay, black, or trans people want to BE THE SAME as. Women and men are different; whites, blacks, Latinos, etc. are all different; homosexual people and straight people aren’t the same. This gets confused a lot. I see things like, “Women want to be the same as men.” No, I enjoy being a woman, a lot.
Equal treatment and protection under the law. Which means, sometimes, laws have to be created. Maybe that’s the tricky part.
5. Oh, well. Never mind me. This guy said it all a lot better.
6. I’m not sure if I’m turning into a cranky idealist or not. I may be. Some days, I really wish I still liked football.
What’s getting under your skin?