I haven’t blogged this week, primarily because I am going on vacation and I will be away from work for an entire six days, which means I have All The Deadlines.
And of course since I am going on vacation for more than a week, with the family, it’s unlikely that I will be blogging much over the next few days.
A couple of things to leave here:
• A working mother in South Carolina was thrown in jail, and her 9-year-old child was made a ward of the state… because she (the daughter) was at a playground alone (with a cell phone) while her mother worked at a near-by McDonalds. Complicating this outrage is the fact that the mother is single, working poor, and African American. I think it’s horrible that a busybody called the police when they realized the girl was there without a parent hovering nearby. I also think if the mother and child were white, jail and CPS wouldn’t have been the outcome. Maybe a stern warning. But not jail. (This article on fundamental attribution error and how it applies to this case was interesting, IMO.)
• A nanny wrote about five things that parents are doing wrong. This is pretty spot on. Parents, if you see yourself in this list, take a step back and reevaluate. I especially like the first one. A good mantra to learn, and we use it in our house, is, “You get what you get, and you don’t get upset.”
• 2014 is shaping up to be a solid year for good music. Or at least music I really like. If you’re looking for some new stuff, may I humbly suggest:
1. KONGOS, Lunatic
2. The Black Keys, Turn Blue
3. Little Daylight, Hello Memory
4. Afghan Whigs, Do To The Beast (This album, guys. This album Does Things to me.)
5. First Aid Kit, Stay Gold
Have a great weekend, everybody. I hope I will have some nice vacation pictures to throw up on the site while I’m out.
4 thoughts on “Random Thoughts: The Absence Edition”
That Afghan Whigs album is great Greg Dulli DOES THINGS to me. He is my be-all-end-all. I hugged him after the show last time they were here, and I’ll try to do it again in Sept. First Aid Kit is awesome too (but they don’t make me feel that same way).
OMG, I so feel the same way about Dulli. I’m a little relieved I am not alone. The lyrics are kind of… dark. I’m swooning thinking of you hugging him.
Off to buy tickets to that show! See you then (if not sooner).
Yeah! I am really really looking forward to it.
Have you seen the Matamoros video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C5et72znyw
I have seen that video. I was going to post it. It is amazing.