• I am thankful for 7 p.m. Sunday mass. Some days it lets Sunday unfold without stress and hurry, and then Flora and I can go to church to close out the weekend. I don’t know about her, but I use that time to give thanks and then pray for a good week.
• I am thankful for scheduled posts when they work. (ahem)
• I am thankful for my slow cooker and for local cows; more on this in a later post.
• I am thankful for Christmas lights. They always give me a boost. It seems silly to me that people bitch about other people “putting their lights up too early” or whinging about waiting for Thanksgiving.
Listen, Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. And if you have the time to put your lights up now, before the weather gets too harsh, go for it. I, for one, like seeing the twinkly lights as I drive home from work.
• I am thankful for children who are excited to travel for Thanksgiving. I do wish they hadn’t stayed up Saturday night packing four bags of entertainment stuff for the car. We’ll negotiate on that later.
• I am thankful for a sweet son. Saturday, Kate had a birthday party in Sewickley. I thought Dan would be home in time to watch M while I took Kate, and then wandered around the “village”. This didn’t turn out to be the case, but the weather was good, so I dropped Kate off, and M and I found a tiny toy shop with a play area in the back. We played with the toys, browsed, I found a gift for one of my nephews, and then found a small toy to buy M for being such a good boy.
Later that night, as I was tucking him in and kissing him good-night, M said, “Thank you, mommy, for buying me the monkey ball popper.”
I melted from the sweet. And I extravagantly praised him for being so nice for remembering to thank me (again).
What made you thankful this weekend?